English English English Türkçe (Türkiye) Türkçe (Türkiye) italiano (Italia) italiano (Italia) español (España) español (España) français (France) français (France) polski (Polska) polski (Polska) svenska (Sverige) svenska (Sverige) srpski (latinica, Crna Gora) srpski (latinica, Crna Gora) Deutsch (Deutschland) Deutsch (Deutschland) Nederlands (Nederland) Nederlands (Nederland) suomi (Suomi) suomi (Suomi) hrvatski (Hrvatska) hrvatski (Hrvatska) српски српски lietuvių (Lietuva) lietuvių (Lietuva) latviešu (Latvija) latviešu (Latvija) español (México) español (México) English (Malta) English (Malta) български български
Green Motion Car and Van Rental Locations Franchise / Affiliate Terms and Conditions Contact Book Now


Environmental Policy Social and Corporate Responsibility Green Heart Donation Giving Back Careers Our Fleet Electric Vehicles


Green Silver Gold VIP


Basic Plus+ Premium Premium+


Turkey South Africa United Kingdom View all



New locations Awards Environmental News View all

Cool Motion



Toggle Menu
Documentation w320

What do I need in order to hire a vehicle from a Green Motion location in the United Kingdom?

To avoid disappointment and frustration when arriving at a rental location in the UK and not being able to hire your vehicle due to having the incorrect documentation, please ensure that you have the following to hand:

If you are a local hirer (i.e. are a resident in the UK), you will require:

  • Your driving licence
  • A secondary photographic ID (i.e. passport)
  • A DVLA Check code ((if you hold a UK driving license)
  • 2 x proof of address (such as utility bills or bank statements issued within the last 4 months)
  • A master / visa credit card in the main drivers’ name (note that American Express, Diners, Prepaid cards and Debit cards are not accepted for the pre-authorisation amount).

If you are a non-UK based hirer (i.e. are flying in and out of the country on this trip), you will require:

  • Your driving licence
  • A DVLA Check Code (if you hold a UK driving license)
  • Your passport
  • Your flight boarding pass
  • A master / visa credit card in the main drivers’ name (note that American Express, Diners, Prepaid cards and Debit cards are not accepted for the pre-authorisation amount).

Why are these documents required?

Drivers Licence: To insure you to drive one of our vehicles, we must establish that you have held a valid licence for a minimum of two years, and check for any driving endorsements which may prevent us from renting to you.

Proof of address: Our vehicles are very valuable, so before we part with one, we need to be absolutely sure of who we are renting to and where they live. Many drivers fail to update the address on their driving licence immediately when they move house, so this address cannot be relied upon in our industry.

Passport and flight details: If you are an international traveller, your passport and proof of flights replaces the need for proof of address.

A master / visa credit card in the main drivers’ name: We will require a deposit for the value of the vehicle’s excess. The card details used for this deposit will be included in the rental contract between Green Motion and yourself. We can only include card details for the main driver as he / she is the contract holder. We cannot accept a credit card belonging to any other party. Click here if you wish to understand more about why a visa / master credit card is required and other forms of card payment are not accepted, including debit cards.

What is a DVLA Code and how do I obtain one?

The DVLA abolished the paper counterpart to the UK driving license in 2015 and all endorsements are now stored on a central database. To hire a car with a UK Driver’s License, you need to obtain a DVLA check code so the car hire company can check to see if you have any penalty points.

In order to get your DVLA check code, you will require your post-code, driving licence and National Insurance number. Enter those details here and the site will give you your unique code. This code is valid for 21 days and can only be used once.